Friday, August 14, 2009




Third and last day in my borrowed studio though Dr Pat Donlon the Director of the Tyrone Guthrie Centre has said they will look out for a studio for me when I get back from London. Basically I am attempting to use the rhythm and graphic qualities of writing while dislocating it from the sign-specific meaning. Instead by layering and overworking, I am hoping to come to an abstract composition that utilizes the words without being swamped by them. I am also interested in the negative space created between lines of text (both from calligraphy and typeface will come later when I get an opportunity). Although I'm using pen/brush and ink I can see that this idea also lends itself to printmaking techniques. This is just a start i am hoping to continue with the drawings when I next get a studio to play in.

No comments:

Post a Comment